Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stepping in Frank Lloyd Wright’s Footsteps

 

     One of the things that I was most excited about seeing in Chicago was the architecture. Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Louis H. Sullivan, they were all here.

     Being an armchair Architectural Historian and my favorite style being the Arts & Crafts/Prairie Style , I practically had a heart attack when I learned that my sister-in-law, a master mason, was working on restoring a chimney on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home.

     Yesterday, I got the opportunity of a lifetime. I climbed up a huge ladder and wandered around on the roof of the house that she was working on. It was one of the most thrilling things that I have ever done. I am not sure what that says about my life and it’s lack of excitement, but I don’t care!

     I haven’t had a chance to edit these at all, but here is my shinning moment….

And here is the home…

     I can’t thank Lori enough for giving me the chance to do something that so few people get to do. I woke up this morning pinching myself.

     Do you love architecture? Do you have a favorite period or architect?

6 comments:

Jane said...

I'm so happy that you got that opportunity. The house looks amazing!
Jane

Pauline Wiles said...

Fun stuff, especially with that architecture.
I remember helping Beloved Husband do some minor work on our roof, and it was really fun to get a different perspective on our street.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My brother was very much a FLWright fan and very interested in architecture. He loved the Bauhaus school and way of thought. FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.

marmielu said...

I bet that was fun for you! I don't know that I have a favorite form of architecture......I haven't really considered it, although I lean toward saltboxes and Federal townhomes.
Mary Lou

Sue said...

Oh Gwen, You are a brave one up on that roof! I get funny feelings in my stomach when I'm up high! LOL How fun to have gotten to see an actual FLW home. It's a great style.
hugs, Sue

Dawn said...

What neat job your SIL has. I can see you're thrilled. I enjoy a lot of architectural styles but I don't think I could live with the craftsman type furniture. It never looks comfortable too me.

Sorry to hear you had so much wind damage. Hope Art's handy with a hammer so you can get a fence back up. How's Murphy?

Hugs
Dawn

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin