Friday, October 23, 2009

The One Where My House is Killing Me…

 

     Most of my decorating projects have been put on hold lately because we realized something really earth shattering while on vacation.

     I have had allergies and asthma all of my life, so when they got worse earlier this year, I really didn’t notice much. At first I chalked it up to the season change, some other health issues, getting the beloved MurphyGrace, etc.

     Finally, last month it was getting so bad that I started a journal of sorts, recording what I ate, what time I started wheezing, if I worked in the yard, painted, all of the things that might effect my runny eyes, stuffed up nose and me reaching for the inhaler. I thought that I could find a pattern. I even tried to write down the times that I crawled around on the 30 plus year old carpet with MurphyGrace!

     We went to Chicago and it ALL STOPPED. I used maybe three tissues and didn’t have to take allergy meds or use my inhaler the entire time. (and they have three dogs)

     The only common denominator in all of my obsessive journaling was this…..

     The place we call Liberty Ranch is killing me! We looked in the obvious places for mold, like sinks and such, but didn’t really see anything. Then we walked around the house itself and found tons of mold on the stucco and the from the outside, you could see tons of black mold around the window frame in the bedroom. There was actual moss growing on the walls in some spots. (Like the stuff that you buy to decorate floral arrangements with!)

     Luckily, we rent. That is about the only time you will hear me say that I feel lucky for renting. That means all of this is not really our problem, but we have to move.

     So I have been busy scouring our little town for rentals or possibly a place for sale. We have a huge demand list and it is tough going, but I am sure that we will find a place. The thought of moving for the second time in a year is a huge blow and I really love the layout of this house, but I can’t tell you how good the prospect of not feeling so sick every day feels.

     Have you ever dealt with mold or another issue in a house that affects your health?

15 comments:

Dawn said...

What a bummer! I hope the move helps. There's tons of rentals around here but it'd be a long commute.

You're right on the mark about my doors.
Hugs,
Dawn

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

I'm so glad you figured out what it was that was affecting you! That is a blessing!! Moving again might not be convenient, but having your health is well worth it!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I never had allergies before moving here. Nor did my dogs. Now, one dog is miserable all the time and I ain't too happy myself. SOMETHING in this part of the desert has set us off. Don't know what it is, tho...

Yes, move, and see if that helps! Life is too short to have your health compromised.

Sue said...

Sometimes it's just best to pick up and move away for one's sanity and health. What an annoying thing to have happen to you! When we first got married, we lived in an apt. where the previous tenant had a cat. Even though we cleaned the carpet ourselves and I scrubbed the place completely, I coughed and had asthma really bad. We moved and it cleared up significantly. I slept in a hotel this week that had feather pillows- I woke up congested every morning. I was glad to get home, let me tell ya!
take care, Gwen. hugs, Sue

Struggler said...

I'm so sorry to hear it, but I guess it's great news you found the cause and as you say, how lucky that you're currently renting.
Is there any way you can check out the mold levels in the new place, before you go to all the trouble and expense of moving?

TRICIA @ The Zoo said...

Oh my goodness Gwen. What a terrible thing to realize that your home is literally making you sick. I agree though, that this is indeed a time to be thankful for renting.

I'm glad to hear that you discovered it before you got even more sick.

Best of luck with your move.

XO*Tricia

Rhonda in OK said...

no advice, but I know it is no fun to be sick, so hope you get a better situation, whatever it is, soon. :)

FrugalMom said...

That is really just horrible. I hope you are able to find another dream home that wont make you compromise your health.

{ L } said...

That's terrible! Bummer. :( I struggle with allergies that get bad and it makes me super tired and they get aggravating. Hope you remedy it soon with a new home sweet home.

marmielu said...

Hi, Gwen! I sure hope you are making progress in finding a new home. I've heard of how much havoc mold can cause, but never knew of it first hand. I'm glad you found out what the problem was.
I've left you an award on my blog. When you get the time, come on over and collect it up.
Mary Lou

Amber said...

Scary stuff! I can't believe your house was making you that sick. Who knew renting was a blessing in disguise? I hope you find something soon!

Joan@anthinggoeshere said...

I never had mold issues with my house, but I rented a storefront for 5 years and developed breathing problems...thought it was just something that happens..but as soon as I closed the store...everything stopped and I was well again. The mold in the store...wood floor over a dirt crawl space was the problem.

Robin said...

that is a miserable feeling. We have a houseboat and every weekend we spent on it was pure misery for me until we pulled up the carpet. underneath was solid black mold; we put down vinyl and I don't have as many allergy attacks there. Every once in a while, they will flare up but I know the mold was killing me too.
Good luck on the house hunt. BTW, I ust discovered your blog and i totally love it!!!
robinpich.blogspot.com

La Tempête said...

Our rental had some mould inside, we tried a whole bunch of things, what worked best (better than commercial products too) was a homemade vinegar and oil of cloves spray and wipe application and the purchase of a dehumidifier.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin