Thursday, September 17, 2009

I am Struggling with Something

     Next month is my 20th high school reunion. What am I struggling with?

I.  CAN’T.  BE.  THIS.  OLD!

     There are so many things that are running through my mind about all of this. I go back and forth about attending, but in the end my practical side wins out. For what I would spend going to the reunion, I could buy like 10 gallons of paint, a bunch of thrifty treasures, and a bag or three of dog food.

     I really had little in common with the girls that I went to school with when we were going to school. (I went to an all girls school) I have nothing in common with them now. Trust me, via facebook, I have tried to find a common ground and found nada.

     Am I dying to see what the pretty girls look like now? You bet. Do I want to see which people fulfilled the “Most Likely To….”? Sure. Do I want to face the smog, traffic and general crowdedness of Southern California and put Murphy Grace in boarding for the second time in October to answer those questions? A resounding NO!

     I love my life and I am proud of it, but I have moved on from high school. One of the great gifts of getting older is becoming comfortable in your own skin. I am eccentric, funny, creative, have chosen the road less traveled and you know what? I still look pretty darn good!

You are getting very sleepy…very sleepy. Now repeat after me, “Gwen is not 37, she is really 28 and looks 25.”  

P.S. I have had a really great week and I hope that you will stick around to see why!

 

8 comments:

anythinggoeshere said...

I went to my 30th and this is what I found. The pretty girls were still pretty, but nicer. The guys looked terrible. Women have so many ways to keep looking good and the guys are kinda on their own. And I live within easy driving distance from my high school. Would I have traveled by plane to get there. NO. If you go just remember that everyone looks better in a boa. xo Joan

Anonymous said...

Oh.my.gosh....are you whiiiining about bein' 37? Really?

Cuz I'm here to tell you, 42 lurks in my immediate future, and it might as well be 102 for the way I'm looking just about now.

And it doesn't help that I graduated from highschool a year and a half early - the stress of the only attack of over-achievement I ever suffered has taken it's toll. I knew I should never have done that!

Anyway, I'm sure you're way cuter than me to begin with, so shine on,thirty-something. Love.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

You and I have much in common on this subject. read my post here : http://lbratina.blogspot.com/search?q=high+school+reunion

Then see here:
http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2008/08/88-reunion-snapshots.html

I did not want to go. I did. And I am sooo glad I did. No pretentiousness, just old friend reconnecting and new friendships formed. A great night!

And let me know what cha think.

Good luck!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

BTW most of the comments on that last link are from classmates!

Jane said...

My 30th reunion was last year...no one in my class seemed interested in putting anything together (I went to an all girls school also and had a graduating class of about 45)...so we didn't have a reunion...kind of sad when you think about it. Follow your gut on this one!!!

Sedona @ MyDivineDelights said...

Gwen! I can really relate! I turned 40 in July! It was pretty much the catalyst for me starting my blog! I couldn't believe that I was going to be the big 4-0! What the heck?? When and HOW did that happen? Life was going by, my children are grown and almost grown and I'm doing what... I want to live life to the fullest and for me that includes creating! Someday I may be able to travel and see the world, but for now, I'm doing what I can to make my world my own! I haven't been to any of my reunions. Now I regret it! I'm going to a small get-together with some girls I graduated with in October. Go to that reunion and live it up! Life is short and uncertain, you're only promised today! Grab it and run!!!!!

:)

Pauline Wiles said...

Oh, I'm behind on my reading, sorry.
But I was cheekily pleased to discover we are the same age and both went to all girls schools which (I suspect) were not the happiest days of our lives!
I can't really advise on whether or not you should go, all I can tell you, is I went to my 10th, only 3 of us turned up, and frankly the other 2 were on the earnest side with nothing very exciting in their lives; I was in touch with one of them anyway so didn't get any good gossip. And yes, I spent too much on something nice to wear!
Following your instinct is probably best; thanks to Facebook, you can satisfy at least some of your curiosity on who's doing what.

Pauline Wiles said...

PS - of course you look 25, as do I.
Those wrinkles around my eyes are simply because the sun was in my eyes when the photo was taken. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin