Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reason #4,212 That I Am Not Allowed In The Kitchen

We made the big move. Nothing was really unpacked, but our bed was here and we spent our first night in the new house. Being exhausted and with the help of Ambien, I toddled off to dreamland quite nicely…..

Until 4:55 AM when a loud explosion rocked all of us up. Seriously. LOUD. Breaking glass and everything. I jumped up and ran in the garage, figuring that the box of not so priceless china we had gotten from Art’s mom had fallen.

No. There was nothing broken or fallen in the garage. Hmm, just where did that big boom come from? We couldn’t find anything wrong and decided that it must have been an accident out on the road. We went back to bed, but I was awake at that point.

Oh well, I thought, might as well get up and start unpacking the kitchen. That is when I saw the destruction……..

Our kitchen, which had formerly looked like this

Now looked like this….

I thought that the flat surface stove was so cool. It was a great place to store boxes awaiting to be unpacked.

Um, it was unless by putting said boxes on the stove, you end up turning it on

& said boxes slowly heat up

& the can of cranberry sauce you tucked in with the dishes finally gets so hot that it explodes

& the boxes of plates and other breakable stuff gets shot across the room

& did I mention that we made this in part to save some money?

& a new stove wasn’t really in the budget?

This, my friends, is why I shouldn’t be allowed in the kitchen. Word from the now wiser, don’t put anything other than pots & pans on that flat surface.

9 comments:

FrugalMom said...

Now, that's crazy Gwen. My husband was watching me read this, and I showed him the photo. Apparently he thinks that could easily happen to me as well, and he already pointed out a few things too close to the stove:)

At least a new stove is clean, when it arrives:)

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Oh, Gwen! Hope no one got hurt! The title of the post made me laugh though. :)

Amy

Jane said...

Hi Gwen,
My jaw dropped when I saw your stove. I'm just glad that no one was in the kitchen when that can decided to blow. I appreciate your advice because I have a flat surface stove.
Take care,
Jane

Dawn said...

OMG Gwen. I'm so glad it didn't happen with any one near. I've never seen a flat surface stove in real life. Aren't some of them always cool to the touch, but the metal of the pots and pans causes an electrical current that heats them. Is that the kind you have? Not that you probably want to use that one any more but you better do some reserch.

Wow, I just can't beieve it. I hope this was the worst part of the move! Please tell me it was!
Wishing you better days ahead,
Dawn

Alaina said...

Wow, I feel so badly for you. Not only are you trying to move into a new home, but now that. I hope you are a silver lining kind of person and have found it. Best of luck on that one.

Alaina said...

Wow, I feel so badly for you. Not only are you trying to move into a new home, but now that. I hope you are a silver lining kind of person and have found it. Best of luck on that one.

Angela said...

Ahh Gwen that sucks. I am glad no one was hurt. This is a lesson for me too, I've got a house full of boxes and an electric stove.
Yup, We love to move like gypsies don't we? LOL

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

OhhhhNoooooooooo

FairfieldHouse said...

Gwen,

I'm finally catching up on my blog reading. I have that exact stove and hate it for that very reason. It also takes forever to cool once you've used it.
That was definitely an "oh shit" moment. Not something anyone wants to wake up to.

Deborah

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin