Friday, August 7, 2009

Goodwill is Dead to me or it is Time for Personal Growth

 

 

This isn’t really about decorating, but it does effect my thrifty treasures, so I guess that it is.

Have you ever had a person in your life that just sucks the wind right out of your sails? You know, that person that turns that confident woman that you know that you are to a quivering mass of Jello? Just one peek of their death stare makes your blood run cold with fear. Suddenly you feel less than, inadequate, about 5 years old, facing a bully and you want to run and hide? Do you have one of those people in your life?

I am not sure if I am describing the feelings that my old roommate gives me, but let’s just say that she gives me the screaming meemees. (not really sure what that means, but it is bad)

We don’t run into her often, but being a small area, it does happen about once a year. She has a habit of jumping from job to job, so I never know where she will turn up.

Yesterday, we had a chance to run into Goodwill. YIPEE! We walked in and who is wearing a little blue vest and putting things on the shelf? My old roommate. BOOO!

I said hello and she mumbled something and went back to work. I then looked at my guy, well, I gave him THE LOOK, and we left.

Then it hit me on the drive home, I am not going to allow this woman to steal my power. I am not going to allow this woman to ruin Goodwill for me. I am tired of letting this woman bully me, three years after I left her behind. I have bloomed into a confident, creative and funny Gwen and I like this Gwen. I am not going to allow this kill my spirit.

I don’t know how in the world she ended up working at Goodwill, but I wish her well. That doesn’t mean that I am about to give up a store that I love and run and hide.

So, that is my non decorating post for this week. Don’t let one itty bitty person steal your power. I am growing this week and I hope that you do too:)

 

8 comments:

Joy said...

Keep growing Gwen! As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
I noticed all of your newly silvered items. It looks like you've been having some spray paint fun!
Have a wonderful weekend.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Yaay Gwen! You go girl! I'll bet she felt just as funny about running into you. You are right about letting others steal our power! Have a great weekend and go enjoy your GW!!...Debbie

Rhonda said...

I know exactly the kind of relationship/affect you are talking about.

And if she changes jobs so often, maybe she will change again very soon and you won't have to deal with her at GoodWill.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Love it! You are so right!!

Amy

Pauline Wiles said...

I think Joy hits the nail on the head with Eleanor R's quote. Rhonda makes a great point too about all the job changes (and, even while she does work there, she can't possibly work every hour the store is open).

But, has it occurred to you, your roommate may have been thinking "OMG, I can't believe she caught me working here, rather than becoming a rock star / senator / CEO / aid worker... I'm so embarrassed not to have made more of my life".

I don't think you have anything to fear from this woman; she's not exactly Brangelina, is she?

Angie said...

Good for you! Keep up that positive attitude!

Controlling My Chaos said...

Well said. I need to remind myself of this prior to talking to my step mom. She's a BYOTCH!

Tricia said...

Amen to that!! It's amazing sometimes how that one person can turn you (me) into a gooey mess.
I think your attitude about the situation rocks!!
I am quite sure your attitude will drain her evil powers and turn her into the girl formerly known as the wicked witch of the west. ;)

Have a wonderful week.
{Love all the projects, btw}.

XO*Tricia

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin